Laura Beth Nielsen
Associate Professor of Sociology and Law, Northwestern University
Ph.D., Jurisprudence & Social Policy, University of California, Berkeley; J.D., University of California, Berkeley
Laura Beth Nielsen is a Research Professor at the American Bar Foundation, Associate Professor of Sociology and Director of Legal Studies at Northwestern University.
Full bio »
The sociology of law, with particular interests in legal consciousness and the relationship between law and inequalities of race, gender, and class.
- Access to Justice
- Latest finding: Aug 7, 2013, with Robert L. Nelson, Rebecca Sandefur
- Contested Constructions of Discrimination
- Latest finding: Dec 12, 2012, with Jill D. Weinberg
, Jeremy Freese
- Contested Constructions uses experimental research to investigate how judges and laypeople define employment discrimination and perceptions of the legal system as the appropriate forum to adjudicate…
- Employment Discrimination Litigation
- Latest finding: Dec 12, 2012, with Robert L. Nelson, Ryon Lancaster, John Donohue III, Peter Siegelman
- At the center of current debates about the role of anti-discrimination law in American society is the system of discrimination litigation. Despite the sheer magnitude of changes in employment…
All projects »
Race and Representation: Racial Disparities in Legal Representation for Employment Civil Rights Plaintiffs
- New York University Journal of Legislation and Public Policy
"Situated Justice: A Contextual Analysis of Fairness and Inequality in Employment Discrimination Litigation"
- Law & Society Review
"Examining Empathy: Discrimination, Experience, and Judicial Decisionmaking"
- University of Southern California Law Review
All publications »
May 28, 2013
Click here to read the article, published on May 22, 2013.
May 28, 2013
This forum, which aired on May 24 on KQED, a San Francisco-area public radio station, discusses the sometimes obscure definition of terrorism. Click to listen.
Apr 22, 2013
Listen here as ABF Research Professor Laura Beth Nielsen comments on the legal definition of terrorism and Miranda rights. This interview aired on the "America Weekend" Podcast on Saturday, April 20,…
All commentary »
- Employment Discrimination Litigation and the Reinscription of Hierarchy
- Jun 2012
- Law in Motion: The Multiple Futures of Law & Society Research
- Nov 2011
- Conceptualizing and Measuring Justice
- Oct 2011
All presentations »
Professional Service & Recognition
- Advisory Panel, National Public Radio, The Life of the Law
- Secretary, Law and Society Association
- Editor, Law & Social Inquiry
- Director, Northwestern University, Center for Legal Studies
- External Grant Committee Chair, Law & Society Association
- Elected Member, Sociology of Law Council, American Sociological Association